chronicling an oven affair

Sunday 23 September 2012

matcha & white chocolate cheesecake cups

Green tea-flavoured KitKats are one of my favourite snack foods (Kinder Bueno being my all-time favourite) even though I'm not really fond of green tea itself. I like my matcha in small doses as excessive bitterness is not exactly my cup of tea. (Hohoho!) Cheesecakes, too, I prefer in small doses. More often than not, they tend to be cloyingly sweet and rich, and I find myself giving up after the first 2 bites. Fortunately, this cheesecake manages to find the perfect balance of bitter and sweet.


I opted to divide the cheesecake into cups rather than bake it as a whole cake to facilitate portioning. I was pleased to discover that doing so enabled the cake to be baked more evenly (and quicker!) No more problems with centres that take forever to set!




Matcha & White Chocolate Cheesecake - makes 10 cups
(adapted from Evan's Kitchen Ramblings)

Ingredients
80g digestive biscuit crumbs
30g unsalted butter, melted
250g cream cheese, room temperature
80g + 1.5tsp caster sugar
50ml + 20ml whipping cream
1/2 large egg, beaten
1 tbsp cake flour
4 tsps matcha powder
100g white chocolate couverture

Directions

  • Mix together biscuit crumbs and melted butter and press onto base of soufflĂ© cups
  • Preheat oven to 150 deg Celsius
  • Whisk together cream cheese and 80g sugar until creamy
  • Add in 50ml whipping cream, followed by egg and cake flour
  • Measure out 25g of batter and set aside
  • Add matcha powder and 1.5tsp of sugar into remaining batter and mix well
  • Pour mixture onto biscuit base
  • Heat 20ml whipping cream and pour over white chocolate
  • Mix chocolate mixture into 25g of cheesecake batter previously set aside
  • Add a dollop of chocolate-cheesecake mixture into each of the cups and swirl it with a toothpick
  • Bake for 30min until cakes are firm but the centres are slightly wobbly
  • Switch off oven and leave cupcakes to cool completely in oven
  • Refrigerate overnight (or at least 2-3h) before serving





2 comments:

  1. Hey Milly! Just want to say your blog posts have been really inspiring - looks like you've got a real talent for baking! I gave this a go but they didn't turn out as well as yours :( the top of the cheesecakes cracked so I think I overbaked them? I did follow the recipe and put it in the oven for 30minutes but maybe my oven is abit more powerful... anyway, will try again! And good job on your baking/blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks april! they looked pretty good in your photos! :) you can actually try baking them in a water bath to help with the cracking. like immerse the cupcake tray in a pan of water and put that in the oven

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

© a millygram of sugar, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena