chronicling an oven affair

Monday 30 July 2012

earl grey cupcakes

Of the huge number of tea flavours available out there, my ultimate favourite has got to be Earl Grey. I remember the first time we went to a swanky hotel for afternoon tea, I had opted for a floral/fruity tea because its description sounded so pretty and delicious. Such a girl, I know. It took just 2 sips to make me regret my decision. Needless to say, I've since stuck to traditional blends like Earl Grey and English Breakfast.

I cannot resist the aroma of a pot of Earl Grey tea (especially if it comes with a basket of scones) and probably would be drinking it more frequently if it weren't for the fact that excessive consumption of tea gives me heart palpitations. I figured the smell of Earl Grey would be just as wonderful coming from my oven and went on a search for an Earl Grey cupcake recipe.


And because chocolate goes well with everything, I just had to top it off with a Chocolate Earl Grey Buttercream frosting.



Unfortunately I can't remember where I got the cupcake recipe from so I can't give it due credit. This is my adaptation of it and if anyone does know where the original is from, do let me know.

Earl Grey Cupcakes (makes 12)

Ingredients
3 earl grey teabags
1/4 cup boiling water
1/3 cup milk
100g unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cup self-raising flour

Directions
Preheat oven to 175 deg Celsius
Immerse 2 teabags and empty the 3rd teabag into boiling water and steep for at least 3 min
Stir in the milk and set aside
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until pale and creamy
Add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated
Add tea-milk mixture
Add in flour and mix well
Spoon into 12 cupcake liners and bake for ~15 min
 (*Note: the cupcakes did not rise as much as I would have liked. Fill the liners preferably more than 3/4 full if you prefer them higher)
Remove from oven and turn cupcakes onto wire rack immediately and leave to cool



Chocolate Earl Grey Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients
100g dark chocolate (I use Lindt Madagascar 65% cocoa)
150g unsalted butter, softened
150ml confectioner's sugar
75ml cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 earl grey teabag
30ml boiling water

Directions

  • Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and heat over a saucepan of simmering water
  • Set aside and leave to cool
  • Immerse teabag in boiling water and leave to steep for ~3min
  • Whip butter until light and fluffy
  • Gradually add sugar and cocoa power and salt
  • Add melted chocolate into mixture and whip until well incorporated
  • Add in tea and mix until frosting is smooth and fluffy
  • Frost cupcakes as desired!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© a millygram of sugar, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena